Prologue, 7 May 2022
"...Once our mind is pure, the human world is a pureland..."
Introduction, 8 May 2022
“...Time does not matter at a mountain lodge
On the [surface of the] lake, the sun and moon linger...”
Dharma Invitation Ritual, 14 May 2022
“...Where are the buddhas and bodhisattvas? They are where you are when you are pure…”
Vimalakirti Sutra Discourse 1, 21 May 2022 - Chapter One—Buddhaverse
“...There is no place that is not a True Buddha World...”
Vimalakirti Sutra Discourse 2, 22 May 2022 - Chapter One—Buddhaverse (Continued)
"...A great bhikku can refer to a senior monk over sixty years old or a monk who relentlessly abides by the precepts. Arhats are very strict in keeping the precepts and are considered great bhikkus..."
Vimalakirti Sutra Discourse 3, 28 May 2022 - Chapter One—Buddhaverse (Continued)
“...Being a great bhikku implies the following. First, he goes asking for alms. Second, he conquers all afflictions. Third, he defeats maras. Fourth, he abides by the pure precepts. Such are great bhikkus or great monks!"
Vimalakirti Sutra Discourse 4, 29 May 2022 - Chapter One—Buddhaverse (Continued)
"...Does anyone know the four methods that bodhisattvas use to entice sentient beings onto the path? There are four methods: giving, loving words, beneficial conduct, and likeness-association..."
Vimalakirti Sutra Discourse 5, 4 June 2022 - Chapter One—Buddhaverse (Continued)
"In sum, there are three kinds of great wisdom: the wisdom of emptiness, the wisdom of existence, and the wisdom of the tathagata. They are the wisdom to know that everything is emptiness, the wisdom to recognize all existences as false, and the all-embracing wisdom of the middle way—the highest wisdom of the tathagata."
Vimalakirti Sutra Discourse 6, 5 June 2022 - Chapter One—Buddhaverse (Continued)
"...What is fundamental conduct? It’s very simple. The fundamental conduct for an arhat (sravaka) to attain arhatship (sravakahood) is to practice the four noble truths. How about for bodhisattvas? The fundamental conduct for bodhisattvas is to practice the six perfections of generosity/giving, precepts, endurance, diligence, meditation, and wisdom. For pratyekabuddhas, they cultivate the twelve links of dependent origination to transcend the rebirth cycle. And buddhas cultivate the thirty-seven enlightening factors and ultimately attain buddhahood..."
Vimalakirti Sutra Discourse 7, 11 June 2022 - Chapter One—Buddhaverse (Continued)
“...any movement and any word spoken by a buddha are all blessings…”
“...great bhikkus and bodhisattvas have their divine might and transcendent power only due to the blessings of the buddhas…”
Vimalakirti Sutra Discourse 8, 12 June 2022 - Chapter One—Buddhaverse (Continued)
“...In Tantrayana, the most important thing is lineage…”
Vimalakirti Sutra Discourse 9, 18 June 2022 - Chapter One—Buddhaverse (Continued)
"...silence is the loudest thunder."
Vimalakirti Sutra Discourse 10, 19 June 2022 - Chapter One—Buddhaverse (Continued)
“Nobody delivers you except yourself...”
“...astrology or divination, or psychic abilities… are not buddhadharma; they are merely means to attract people toward the spiritual world and eventually onto the right path.”
Vimalakirti Sutra Discourse 11, 25 June 2022 - Chapter One—Buddhaverse (Continued)
Vimalakirti Sutra Discourse 12, 26 June 2022 - Chapter One—Buddhaverse (Continued)
“The question is, how do you attain such peace of mind? …how can you pacify your mind so it is at peace?”
Vimalakirti Sutra Discourse 13, 2 July 2022 - Chapter One—Buddhaverse (Continued)
“...benefit sentient beings, and do so without any motive.”
Vimalakirti Sutra Discourse 17, 16 July 2022 - Chapter One—Buddhaverse (Continued)"They understood [the true reality beyond] all phenomena including the [spiritual] roots of sentient beings."
Vimalakirti Sutra Discourse 18, 17 July 2022 - Chapter One—Buddhaverse (Continued)
“There are four kinds of fearlessness… the fearlessness of complete upholding… fearlessness in resolving doubts… fearlessness due to wisdom… [and] fearlessness in repaying generosity.”
Vimalakirti Sutra Discourse 19, 23 July 2022 - Chapter One—Buddhaverse (Continued)
“If you truly want to cultivate your heart-mind, you need to act without condition. On the other hand, acting with condition is too mundane. And non-action is too sagely. Instead, you combine the mundane and the sagely together and act without condition. This is called unconditioned actions.”
Vimalakirti Sutra Discourse 20, 24 July 2022 - Chapter One—Buddhaverse (Continued)
"They appeared most magnificent, even when they had forgone all worldly embellishments.”
Vimalakirti Sutra Discourse 21, 30 July 2022 - Chapter One—Buddhaverse (Continued)
Vimalakirti Sutra Discourse 22, 31 July 2022 - Chapter One—Buddhaverse (Continued)“According to Vimalakirti, true greatness is when one is in union with buddhanature. This is the greatest! Hence, fame and reputation far exceeding the height of Mount Meru naturally occur when one is in union with buddhanature—when one is union with the buddha. Union with buddhanature is the greatest and there is nothing exceeding that.”
Vimalakirti Sutra Discourse 23, 6 August 2022 - Chapter One—Buddhaverse (Continued)"Their deep faith was as strong as a vajra. This phrase is even easier to explain. The great bodhisattvas have very strong—deep and profound—faith just like the vajra; it is indestructible."
Vimalakirti Sutra Discourse 24, 7 August 2022 - Chapter One—Buddhaverse (Continued)
“Look at the sun, it shines upon all—good or bad. It shines upon both good and bad people, even the most evil ones. This is called all-encompassing. Like the sun, we must cultivate ourselves to be like the great bodhisattvas who bestow nectar upon all sentient beings.”
Vimalakirti Sutra Discourse 25, 13 August 2022 - Chapter One—Buddhaverse (Continued)
"The teachings of the great bodhisattvas are the most marvelous and sublime sounds ever heard."
Vimalakirti Sutra Discourse 26, 14 August 2022 - Chapter One—Buddhaverse (Continued)
“The great bodhisattvas know about the origination of causes and conditions... They also understand that the origination of causes and conditions is illusory, like a dream. Thus, they cut off all wrong views.”
“What is buddhadharma? Everything is buddhadharma. This is very sublime and profound. Therefore, lust, anger, and ignorance are all buddhadharma: Anger that comes from a compassionate heart; lust that is with a pure mind; and ignorance that is destroyed by having the views of both equality and inequality.”
Vimalakirti Sutra Discourse 28, 27 August 2022 - Chapter One—Buddhaverse (Continued)
“All existences are temporary phenomena. Essentially all is emptiness. The great bodhisattvas comprehend this principle; therefore, they can eradicate all habitual tendencies.”
Vimalakirti Sutra Discourse 29, 28 August 2022 - Chapter One—Buddhaverse (Continued)
They displayed the fearlessness of a lion’s roar which resonated like thunder.
“I explain this phrase as: The great bodhisattvas fearlessly demonstrate the dharma. There is nothing to fear, just like the roar of a lion. Speaking or not, any movement he makes is a like a lion’s roar.”
Related article: Sacred Spiritual Light Radiated from Life Essence Burial Ceremony
Vimalakirti Sutra Discourse 30, 3 September 2022 - Chapter One—Buddhaverse (Continued)
“Two thousand and six hundred years ago in India, Sakyamuni Buddha already knew that there were microorganisms in water… He was remarkable! He knew about things as minuscule as bacteria to things as vast as the universe…
“The great bodhisattvas know their past 500 lives and their future 500 lives. They know about the past, the present, and the future—the three times. How vast is that? Beyond measure! It is impossible to measure the extent of its time and space.”
Vimalakirti Sutra Discourse 31, 4 September 2022 - Chapter One—Buddhaverse (Continued)
“A guiding teacher of an ocean of dharma treasures is a true vajra master whose attainments have been proven.”
Vimalakirti Sutra Discourse 32, 10 September 2022 - Chapter One—Buddhaverse (Continued)
“What use is buddhadharma? To clear away afflictions and cut off attachments! Once you master the profundities of buddhadharma, you will be like Sai Weng. You accept life with optimism and live at ease in any circumstance. Neither will you mourn disasters nor celebrate good fortunes. You calmly face all that may come and take everything as the best arrangement. Only then, is your heart-mind truly unaffected, just like the old man.”
Vimalakirti Sutra Discourse 33, 11 September 2022 - Chapter One—Buddhaverse (Continued)
“…great bodhisattvas know sentient beings and understand their behavior, thoughts, desires, and their karma of the past, present, and future… they first entice sentient beings by satisfying their desires before guiding them onto the Buddhist path.”
Vimalakirti Sutra Discourse 34, 17 September 2022 - Chapter One—Buddhaverse (Continued)
“The spiritual cultivation of these great bodhisattvas has almost reached buddhahood; they are awaiting buddhahood at the tenth ground of bodhisattvahood, called the Ground of the Dharma Cloud. At this level, they are called Awaiting Awakening… buddhas have the ten powers, [the four] fearlessnesses, and the eighteen distinctive cultivations.”
Vimalakirti Sutra Discourse 35, 18 September 2022 - Chapter One—Buddhaverse (Continued)
“You cultivate spiritually until you attain the non-leaking body, speech, and mind. Then, you have no more flaws—all karma has been eradicated and all afflictions are emptied.”
Vimalakirti Sutra Discourse 36, 24 September 2022 - Chapter One—Buddhaverse (Continued)
“...[great bodhisattvas] had shut off all doors to evil inclinations. They manifested in the five rebirth realms as great healers who remedy the ailments of sentient beings and thereafter, convinced them to follow. They attained immeasurable merit, purifying and dignifying countless buddhaverses. They benefitted all those who see and hear them, and their actions were never in vain. In this way, they were fully endowed with all merits.”
Vimalakirti Sutra Discourse 37, 25 September 2022 - Chapter One—Buddhaverse (Continued)
1. Equal View Bodhisattva views all sentient beings equally because he has the wisdom of true emptiness.
2. Unequal View Bodhisattva has gained the wisdom of discernment, and discerns the differences among sentient beings.
3. The Bodhisattva with the View of Both Equality and Inequality uses both types of wisdoms in life.
Vimalakirti Sutra Discourse 38, 1 October 2022 - Chapter One—Buddhaverse (Continued)4. Meditation Self-mastery King Bodhisattva has attained the highest mastery, and flows with affinity in real meditation; he has self-mastery and is at total ease. Completely unperturbed by anyone and anything, he is unhindered in all circumstances.
Vimalakirti Sutra Discourse 39, 2 October 2022 - Chapter One—Buddhaverse (Continued)
5. Dharma Self-mastery King Bodhisattva understands all dharma but is not attached to the dharma. Amid dharma (all phenomena), he is a master of himself and has reached the highest realm.
6. Dharma Phenomena Bodhisattva comprehends all dharma and uses this dharma to teach sentient beings.
7. Light Phenomena Bodhisattva constantly reflects upon oneself.
8. Light Adorned Bodhisattva uses his wisdom and clear light radiance to adorn all the purelands.
9. Greatly Adorned Bodhisattva has gained the great wisdom of his yidam through the practice of dharma and attaining spiritual union with his yidam.
10. Accumulated Treasures Bodhisattva has gained spiritual responses from all the dharma he has accumulated.
11. Accumulated Eloquence Bodhisattva is one with great wisdom and an abundance of dharma treasures, and his unhindered eloquence is unsurpassed.
Vimalakirti Sutra Discourse 42, 15 October 2022 - Chapter One—Buddhaverse (Continued)
12. Precious Hand Bodhisattva uses his hands to touch the heads of sentient beings to alleviate their difficulties and sufferings.
13. Precious Seal Hand Bodhisattva understands the three dharma seals and uses his understanding to deliver sentient beings.
14. Raising Hand Bodhisattva carries the great work of the tathagata.
15. Lowering Hand Bodhisattva is the bodhisattva who always guides sentient beings to a better realm.
Vimalakirti Sutra Discourse 43, 16 October 2022 - Chapter One—Buddhaverse (Continued)
16. Ever-Miserable Bodhisattva suffers because sentient beings suffer.
17. The Root of Joy Bodhisattva starts and completes good deeds with joy.
18. The King of Joy Bodhisattva practices equanimity, and helps people with and without affinity, even those he doesn’t like. He gives without asking for anything in return.
19. Debating Sound Bodhisattva is exceptional in speaking dharma as he understands Buddhist principles and knows all kinds of dharma. He has mastered the four kinds of debates and the eight kinds of sounds called the unhindered dharma.
Vimalakirti Sutra Discourse 44, 22 October 2022 - Chapter One—Buddhaverse (Continued)
20. Akasagarbha Bodhisattva knows and has proven that all buddhadharma is within the cosmic space.
21. Holding Precious Torch Bodhisattva brings brightness wherever he goes because he holds the illuminating wisdom (the prajna light) of the Buddha.
22. Precious Courage Bodhisattva is fearless and courageous because he embodies the light of wisdom.
23. Precious View Bodhisattva can see all the dharma treasures and prajna lights of the tathagatas.
Vimalakirti Sutra Discourse 45, 23 October 2022 - Chapter One—Buddhaverse (Continued)
24. Indra Net Bodhisattva delivers innumerable sentient beings, as if using a net.
25. Bright Net Bodhisattva has a clear light radiance on his body, and he uses his luminosity to deliver countless beings.
26. Beholding No Affinity Bodhisattva is free from any discrimination and differentiation, and delivers and gives to all beings equally.
Vimalakirti Sutra Discourse 46, 29 October 2022 - Chapter One—Buddhaverse (Continued)
27. Accumulated Wisdom Bodhisattva has accumulated and comprehended all wisdom of the buddhas.
28. Precious Victory Bodhisattva gives buddhadharma.
29. Sky King Bodhisattva is utterly pure.
30. Mara Destroyer Bodhisattva can destroy maras and heretics.
31. Lightning Merit Bodhisattva can generate merit very quickly and let you quickly attain all merit.
Vimalakirti Sutra Discourse 47, 30 October 2022 - Chapter One—Buddhaverse (Continued)
32. Self-Mastery King Bodhisattva has a thorough understanding of unattainability, thus attaining ease and self-mastery.
33. Merit Adorned Bodhisattva has tremendous merit and virtue, and his body and mind are adorned with it.
34. Lion’s Roar Bodhisattva is almighty as he truly understands the Dao. He speaks like a lion, piercing through the heart.
35. Thunderous Sound Bodhisattva disseminates the Buddha’s genuine dharma as loudly and brightly as thunder.
36. Mountain Rumbling Sound Bodhisattva can shake Mount Meru with his dharma teaching, driving away all maras and heretics.
Vimalakirti Sutra Discourse 48, 5 November 2022 - Chapter One—Buddhaverse (Continued)
37. Fragrant Elephant Bodhisattva is a bodhisattva who has reached the other shore.
38. White Fragrant Elephant Bodhisattva is a great bodhisattva who comes to samsara and is close to buddhahood.
39. Ever-Diligent Bodhisattva is unfailingly diligent and never limits his generosity to sentient beings.
40. Non-Resting Bodhisattva never rests in delivering sentient beings.
Vimalakirti Sutra Discourse 49, 6 November 2022 - Chapter One—Buddhaverse (Continued)
41. Marvel Born Bodhisattva has attained the state of no birth but continuously stays in samsara to deliver sentient beings.
42. Avatamsaka Bodhisattva/Flower Ornament Bodhisattva is adorned with the six perfections—generosity, precepts, endurance, diligence, meditation, and wisdom.
43. Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva/the Bodhisattva who Perceives Samsaric Sound, immediately provides salvation upon hearing prayers in samsara.
44. Mahasthamaprapta Bodhisattva/Greatly Powerful Bodhisattva is thus named because he has tremendous power. When he stomps his feet, the demon’s palace trembles.
Vimalakirti Sutra Discourse 50, 12 November 2022 - Chapter One—Buddhaverse (Continued)
45. Brahma Net Bodhisattva uses pure buddhadharma and marvelous dharma teaching to deliver sentient beings, who are like fish lifted from the ocean in a large pure net.
46. Precious Pole Bodhisattva bears the work of the Tathagata.
47. Complete Victory Bodhisattva is first and foremost in teaching and discussing buddhadharma, and no one can exceed him in debates.
48. Magnificent Land Bodhisattva adorns the purelands and the buddhaverses with his wisdom and merit.
Vimalakirti Sutra Discourse 52, 3 December 2022 - Chapter One—Buddhaverse (Continued)
“…Also, there were tens of thousands of Mahabrahma Sikhin and other devas from the rest of the Four Heavens descending to the Buddha’s place to listen to the dharma. In the assembly, there were also twelve thousand celestial kings, the mighty heavenly beings, dragon gods, yaksas, gandharvas, asuras, garudas, kinnaras, maharagas, as well as all the bhiksus, bhiksunis, upasakas, and upasikas…”
Vimalakirti Sutra Discourse 53, 10 December 2022 - Chapter One—Buddhaverse (Continued)
“A bhiksu or bhiksuni begs for buddhadharma above and food and clothing below... Upasakas and upasikas are the male and female lay Buddhists who take refuge in the Three Jewels and abide by the five precepts. They all came to attend the grand ceremony of Sakyamuni Buddha.”
Vimalakirti Sutra Discourse 54, 17 December 2022 - Chapter One—Buddhaverse (Continued)
“...there were many elders, who were elderly, wealthy, with outstanding moral character, like the bodhisattvas...”
Vimalakirti Sutra Discourse 55, 24 December 2022 - Chapter One—Buddhaverse (Continued)
“In ancient India, a great dharma teacher or a mahasiddha would always have a parasol above their head while giving dharma teachings... This symbolizes their attainments or accomplishments.”
Vimalakirti Sutra Discourse 56, 31 December 2022 - Chapter One—Buddhaverse (Continued)
“He manifested such great transcendent power to let all attendees of the dharma ceremony back then witness the suns, the moons, the stars, the celestial palaces, the dragon palaces, all the palaces, all the heavens and their lords, all the buddhaverses, and all the buddhas of the ten directions to appear within the precious parasol.”
Vimalakirti Sutra Discourse 57, 7 January 2023 - Chapter One—Buddhaverse (Continued)
“To explain pure eyes, I need to first talk about the five kinds of eyes a buddha has: physical eyes, divine eyes, dharma eyes, wisdom eyes, and buddha eyes...”
Vimalakirti Sutra Discourse 58, 14 January 2023 - Chapter One—Buddhaverse (Continued)
“...The one with vast pure eyes like a deep blue lotus,
And pure mind transcending all meditations,
With infinite pure karma accumulated since long ago,
You guide beings to nirvana; to you we pay homage!
We witnessed Great Holiness’ miraculous power
In manifesting the infinite lands of the ten directions,
Wherein them, all the buddhas are teaching dharma.
Hereby, we personally saw and heard!
The dharma king has unsurpassed dharma power,
And ever generous to all in giving dharma wealth...”
Vimalakirti Sutra Discourse 59, 22 January 2023 - Chapter One—Buddhaverse (Continued)
“...And ever generous to all in giving dharma wealth.
You can discern all dharma phenomena,
Stay unmoved amid the ultimate truth, and
Have self-mastery in all situations.
Thus, we pay homage to this dharma king!
You speak about existence and non-existence,
Everything arises due to causes and conditions,
There are no subject, no conception, and no object.
Only karma is ever present—good or bad...”
“...Once you accept the buddhadharma, you will never regress from the path (way). In such a state, you will always be naturally serene—and this is the state of innate awareness and innate light. This is the original clear light radiance and sublime perfect awakening that has been within you all along.”
“...The Great Healer King delivers the aged, the sick, and the dead.
Homage to the dharma ocean with boundless virtues.
Unmoved by honor or slander like Mount Meru,
You equally love the virtuous and the unvirtuous,
With the mind and conduct of equality like the cosmic space.
Who could hear such a human jewel without offering respect?”
Vimalakirti Sutra Discourse 62, 12 February 2023 - Chapter One—Buddhaverse (Continued)
“...Here we offer humble parasols to the World-honored One.
Within which you showed us the three-thousand worlds,
The palaces of all devas and dragon gods,
Gandharvas and yaksas,
And all the things that exist in the saha world.
The appearances of the ten powers are manifestations.
Upon seeing this rare occurrence, sentient beings praised the Buddha.
Today, we pay homage to the Venerable of the Three Realms.
The Great Sage Dharma King is the refuge of the multitude.
Observing the Buddha with a pure mind, they are filled with joy,
Seeing the World-honored One right before them.
This is the most uncommon display of transcendent power…”
Vimalakirti Sutra Discourse 63, 18 February 2023 - Chapter One—Buddhaverse (Continued)
“...The Accumulated Treasures Bodhisattvas [praised Sakyamuni Buddha and] bowed his head to the ground toward Sakyamuni Buddha, to pay homage…”
Vimalakirti Sutra Discourse 64, 19 February 2023 - Chapter One—Buddhaverse (Continued)
“World-honored One, we, the five hundred elders have generated the mind of anuttara samyaksambodhi. We wish to hear how to attain the purity of the buddhaverses. We pray that the World-honored One will speak on the cultivation of all the bodhisattvas’ purelands.”