Delivering Rice and Grain to Alleviate Hunger
Despite the coronavirus pandemic, Lotus Light Charity Society (Singapore) has continued with their monthly food ration distribution to the poor and needy families or elderly residents staying in various parts of Singapore, such as Bukit Merah, Henderson, York Hill, Hougang, Geylang Bahru, and Ang Mo Kio.
Before each distribution session, which usually takes place on a Sunday morning, volunteers prepare and pre-pack goodie bags comprising items such as rice, coffee, Milo, braised peanuts, biscuits, medicated oil, eggs, fruits, bread, canned food, toilet rolls and so on. In recent months, Lotus Light Care-Packs comprising 10 disposable face masks, 1 reusable cloth mask, as well as a bottle of hand sanitizer have also been included in the goodie bags, to help protect beneficiaries in light of the current pandemic situation.
LLCS Singapore is very grateful to “Masks Sewn With Love”, for 500 pieces of specially hand-made cloth masks.
This year, Lotus Light Charity Society (Singapore) has distributed on:
- 23 February 2020, more than 400 goodie bags to the less fortunate, in four different locations across Singapore
- 7 June 2020, more than 200 goodie bags to the less fortunate, families and elderly living in Bukit Merah, Geylang Bahru, and Hougang
- 28 June 2020, around 200 goodie bags to beneficiaries staying in Henderson, York Hill, and Ang Mo Kio
- 12 July 2020, 92 goodie bags to needy elderly staying in Hougang and Geylang Bahru
- 26 July 2020, 310 goodie bags to needy elderly staying at Bukit Merah, Henderson and York Hill
- 16 August 2020, 92 goodie bags to elderly staying in Hougang and Geylang Bahru
LLCS (Singapore) is immensely thankful for the generosity and hard work of all sponsors, donors, volunteers and friends, for their continuous support of the monthly ration distribution program. Through their compassionate and empathetic actions, by providing assistance to the less fortunate, the program has put the teachings and ideals of LLCS founder, H. H. Living Buddha Lian-Sheng, into actual practice:
“We need to help those who have met with accidents, to provide relief during emergencies.
We need to help the poor to afford studies, to help with the education of people.
We need to build houses and shelter, to help people live in peace.
We need to donate clothes, to provide relief from the cold.
We need to deliver rice and grain, to alleviate people’s hunger.”
Working together in the same spirit, H. H. Living Buddha Lian-Sheng’s ideals regarding helping others can continue to be realised, creating a better future.