Start by praying for the root lineage blessing: First empty the mind. Next, visualize the Root Lineage Guru appearing above your crown and radiating light on everyone present. Chant the Root Lineage Guru Heart Mantra 7 times. Pray to the Root Lineage Guru to empower you so that the practice will be auspicious.
Engender the Four Immeasurable Minds: Visualize your parents, children, relatives, friends, and enemies join you in this practice.
Wake Up Call: Clap twice, then cross hands and snap thumbs and middle fingers.
- Recite the Purification Mantras and Earth God Mantra
- Recite the Invocation Mantra
- Tender the Great Homage with Visualization
- Mandala Offering
- Fourfold Refuge
- Armor Protection
- Recite the High King Avalokitesvara Sutra
- Recite the Rebirth Mantra (7 times)
- Recite the Root Lineage Guru Heart Mantra (108 times)
Om, gu-ru, lian-sheng sid-dhi hum
- Mudra and Visualization
Maha Cundi Root Mudra: Interlace the little fingers and ring fingers of both hands inside the palms. Extend the middle fingers so their tips touch. Maneuver the index finger of each hand to press upon the back of each corresponding middle finger. Bring the thumbs together so they touch side by side. Hold the mudra in front of the chest.
Illustration of mudra:
Seed Syllable :
Zhun (white yellow in color emitting light yellow light)
Visualization: First empty the mind.
Chant the Emptiness Mantra:
Om, si-ba-wa, su-da, sa-er-wa, da-er-ma, si-ba-wa, su-do-hang. (3 times)
- Above an expanse of ocean is a stretch of clear sunny sky. A moon disc rises from the ocean into the sky. Inside the moon disc is the white Sanskrit seed syllable 「」“zhun,” emitting light-yellow light.
- The seed syllable inside the moon disc revolves and transforms into a majestic Maha Cundi Bodhisattva whose body is light-yellow. Wearing a crown adorned with the image of a Buddha, Maha Cundi has three eyes and eighteen arms. She wears a white celestial garment and her arms are adorned with ornaments. While the original pair of hands hold the Root Mudra, the other sixteen hands hold the following implements in a clockwise direction: wish-fulfilling pennant, lotus, bathing vase, lasso, eight-spoke wheel, conch, precious vase, wisdom chest, headdress, vajra scepter, hook, axe, heavenly fruit, mala beads, wisdom sword, and Fearless Mudra.
- Visualize the third eye of Maha Cundi Bodhisattva emitting a brilliant white light that arches and enters one’s body through the crown chakra, purifying the body into crystal white.
- Visualize the third eye at Maha Cundi Bodhisattva’s brow-point shine a brilliant light into one’s third eye. Dwell on this visualization with utmost effort. (If one desires to open one’s third eye, one needs to work on this visualization until there is a tingling sensation at the brow-point.)
- Recite the Maha Cundi Bodhisattva Heart Mantra
Mala Beads Visualization:
Hold mala beads in front of the chest and move each bead with the thumb during chanting. Visualize the left hand transform into a vajra bell and the right hand into a vajra scepter.
The mother bead or emblem transforms into the Many-Jewels Buddha’s Stupa and the four “divider beads” transform into the Four Heavenly Tutelaries. The tassel transforms into a “lotus hand” while the string threading through the beads transforms into a circle of inherent white light of Vajrasattva. During mantra chanting, when a bead is moved, visualize Maha Cundi appear inside the bead and come to the forefront.
Mantra: Om, dze-lee dzu-lee, zhun-tee, so-ha. (108 times)
- Entering Samadhi
(Nine Cycle Breathing, Entering of the Deity into Oneself, Release of Oneself into the CosmicConsciousness, Breath Counting)
- Emerging from Samadhi
Da-sheng zhun-ti zun, ai-min yu shi-jian, cheng-jiu zhu si-di, wo jin gong-jing li.
Da-ci zhun-ti-zun, wo jin wei ben-zun, fu-chi gong-de-hai, wo jin gong-jing li.
Da-li zhun-ti-zun, shan-zai ming-chi-wang, xiang-fu zhu mo-nan, wo jin gong-jing li.
Da-fu zhun-ti-zun, ru-yi wu-deng-deng, zheng-ru you mo-ni, wo jin gong-jing li.
Great Sacred Cundi Deity, full of mercy and accomplishments, homage to you!
Great Compassionate Personal Deity, with grace and merit as vast as oceans, homage to you!
Great Powerful Mantra-holding Deity, subjugator of all demons and disasters, homage to you!
Great Boundless Fortune-bestowing Deity, fulfiller of wishes and revealer of Suchness, homageto you!
- Recite the Principal Heart Mantras
- Recite the Buddha’s Name (3 times)
Na-mo san-shi-liu-wan-yi yi-shi-yi-wan jiu-qian-wu-bai tong-ming-tong-hao ah-mi-tuo-fo.
Namo the 36 trillion 119 thousand and 500 Amitabha Buddhas.
May I attain stability, wisdom, and enlightenment,
May I attain the opening of the third eye.
With the manifestation of the Pure Land of Maha Cundi,
May all beings arrive at the Buddha’s Path.
May all who uphold the name of Amitabha Buddha
Be born together in the Pure Land of His Western Paradise.
Repaying the Fourfold Generosity from above,
And aiding those who suffer in the Three Paths below.
Upon seeing the Buddha,
May I be liberated from the cycle of birth and death,
And may I develop the qualities of Buddhahood,
And thus free all who suffer.
I, ________ (your name), dedicate the merits of this practice to the Root Lineage Guru. May the Root Lineage Guru always be healthy, remain in samsara, never enter nirvana, and forever turn the dharma wheel. May everyone be healthy, free of hindrances, strong in cultivation, and may all circumstances become auspicious.
May all supplications be completely fulfilled.
May all hindrances be removed. Wun!
(For a detailed description of dedication, refer to page 165 of A Complete and Detailed Exposition on the True Buddha Tantric Dharma.)
- Recite the Hundred Syllable Mantra (3 times)
- Tender the Great Homage with Visualization
- Recite the Completion Mantra
Om, Bu Lin. (3 times)
Om Mani Padme Hum.
End of Practice: Xiu-fa yuan-man, ru-yi ji-xiang. May all endeavors be auspicious.
An empowerment must be received from Living Buddha Lian-sheng or an authorized True Buddha School master before one engages in this particular sadhana.