Start by praying for the root lineage blessing: First empty the mind. Next, visualize the Root Lineage Guru Living Buddha Lian-sheng appearing above your crown and radiating light on everyone present. Chant the Root Lineage Guru Heart Mantra 7 times. Pray to the Root Lineage Guru to empower you so that the practice will be auspicious.
Engender the Four Immeasurable Minds: Visualize your parents, children, relatives, friends, and enemies joining you in this practice.
Wake-Up Call: Clap twice, then cross hands and snap thumbs and middle fingers.
- Recite the Purification Mantras and Earth God Mantra
- Recite the Invocation Mantra
- Tender the Great Homage with Visualization
- Mandala Offering
- Fourfold Refuge
- Recite the Four Immeasurable Vows
- Armor Protection
- Recite the High King Avalokitesvara Sutra (1 time).
- Recite the Rebirth Mantra (7 times).
- Recite the Bodhicitta Verse and Mantra
- Recite the Repentance Verse and Mantra
- Recite the Root Guru's Heart Mantra (108 times):
Om, gu-ru, lian-sheng sid-dhi hum
- Mudra and Visualization
Mahabala Heruka Mudra : Form the Tarjani Mudra by holding both the right and left hands in front of the chest and facing outwards as shown in the diagram below.
Illustration of mudra:
Visualization: First empty the mind
Chant the Emptiness Mantra:
Om, si-ba-wa, su-da, sa-er-wa, da-er-ma, si-ba-wa, su-do-hang. (3 times)
- A lotus emerges from the syllable「」''bang''. Within the lotus is a sun disc. In the center of the sun disc is a red syllable 「」''hum''. (In visualizing the color of the ''hum'' syllable, red represents love and respect; blue, subjugation; white, purity; and yellow, enrichment.)
- The 「」''hum'' syllable emits red light. Four-armed red Mahabala appears within the light with his left leg stretched outward while his right leg is bent.
One of his four arms holds a staff - to knock enemies out.
One of his four arms holds a lasso - to bind.
One of his four arms holds a whisk - to sweep away karmic hindrances.
One of his four arms forms the Tarjani Mudra - to express subjugation.
- Mahabala has one face and four arms. His golden hair stands straight up and is bound with snakes. His fangs are exposed. He wears a tiger skin skirt and sunlight jewels on his crown with Amitabha as his crown ornament.
(There are five sunlight jewels which are white, very white. Above each of the sunlight jewels is an Amitabha)
Like a ruby, this deity radiates light of a red ''hum'' in all directions invoking deities of the universe.
- Mahabala again radiates light which shines over one's body. One then transforms into Mahabala.
(This deity is like a precious gem; red as a ruby, blue as a sapphire, yellow as a citrine gemstone, and white as a diamond. The light of the ''hum'' syllable radiates outward invoking deities of the universe. The light then shines directly on oneself. With ''om-ah-hum'' one transforms into Mahabala.)
- Visualize Mahabala at every door and window stopping ghosts from entering the house.
- Recite the Mahabala Ghost Prohibiting Mantra (108 times):
Perform mala beads visualization before chanting the mantra.
- Nine Cycle Breathing Exercise and Entering Samadhi
- Emerging from Samadhi
Mahabala the wrathful king
A jewel-like body red as a ruby
Whose only thought is to subjugate evil
I pay homage to mighty Mahabala
- Recite the Principal Heart Mantras
- Recite the Buddha's Name (3 times)
Namo the 36 trillion 119 thousand and 500 Amitabha Buddhas.
- Recite the Hundred Syllable Mantra (3 times)
- Tender the Great Homage with Visualization (same as step 3)
- Recite the Completion Mantra
Om, Bu Lin. (3 times)
Om Mani Padme Hum.
End of Practice: May all endeavors be auspicious.
An empowerment must be received from Living Buddha Lian-sheng or an authorized True Buddha School master before one engages in this particular sadhana.