Start by praying for the root lineage blessing: First empty the mind. Next, visualize the Root Lineage Guru Living Buddha Lian-sheng appearing above your crown and radiating light on everyone present. Chant the Root Lineage Guru Heart Mantra 7 times. Pray to the Root Lineage Guru to empower you so that the practice will be auspicious.
Engender the Four Immeasurable Minds: Visualize your parents, children, relatives, friends, and enemies join you in this practice.
Wake-Up Call: Clap twice, then cross hands and snap thumbs and middle fingers.
- Recite the Purification Mantras and Earth God Mantra
- Recite the Invocation Mantra
- Tender the Great Homage with Visualization
- Mandala Offering
- Fourfold Refuge
- Recite the Four Immeasurable Vows
- Recite the Bodhicitta Verse and Mantra
- Recite the Repentance Verse and Mantra
- Armor Protection
- Recite the High King Avalokitesvara Sutra (1 time).
- Recite the Rebirth Mantra (7 times).
- Recite the Root Guru's Heart Mantra (108 times):
Om, gu-ru, lian-sheng sid-dhi hum
- Mudra and Visualization
Tara Who Saves from Contagious Diseases Mudra: Form the Lotus-holding Mudra with the left hand while the right hand forms the Wish-fulfilling Mudra with the palm facing outward.
Illustration of mudra:
Dang (red-yellow in color)
Visualization: First empty the mind
Chant the Emptiness Mantra:
Om, si-ba-wa, su-da, sa-er-wa, da-er-ma, si-ba-wa, su-do-hang. (3 times)
- Visualize a great sun in the sky. Inside the great sun is the red-yellow seed syllable「」''dang''. The seed syllable revolves and transforms into the Tara Who Saves from Contagious Diseases. (Tara Who Saves from Contagious Diseases appears inside the great sun) 【Note 1】
- Tara Who Saves from Contagious Diseases, red-yellow in color, has one head and two arms. Her right leg is extended while her left leg is bent. She sits on a lotus, wears a celestial garment, and is adorned with various precious jewels. Her right hand forms the Wish-fulfilling Mudra. Her left hand holds a lotus with a treasure vase on top. The vase is full of not-dying nectar which eradicates diseases. Tara's two eyes are like the sun and the moon, and emit brilliant light.
- Tara Who Saves from Contagious Diseases appears before the practitioner. Visualize the Tara holding a fully bloomed lotus with a treasure vase on top. The vase is full of not-dying nectar emitting infinite brilliant light. From the void, the infinite brilliant light shines on and blesses the practitioner. The light also shines upon and blesses the six-herb (or five-herb) powder. 【Note 2】The practitioner must actually perceive the Tara Who Saves from Contagious Diseases emitting light which blesses the powder. Practitioner and Tara merge as one and enter samadhi.
- Recite the Heart Mantra of Tara who Saves from Contagious Diseases (108 times):
Perform mala beads visualization before chanting the mantra
- Nine Cycle Breathing and Entering Samadhi
- Emerging from Samadhi
Homage to Arya Tara whose eyes, the sun and moon,
Radiate pure and brilliant light
Uttering HARA twice and TUTTARA
Dispels extremely fearful plagues.
- Recite the Principal Heart Mantras
- Recite the Buddha's Name (3 times)
Namo the 36 trillion 119 thousand and 500 Amitabha Buddhas.
- Recite the Hundred Syllable Mantra (3 times)
- Tender the Great Homage with Visualization (same as step 3)
- Recite the Completion Mantra
Om, Bu Lin. (3 times)
Om Mani Padme Hum.
End of Practice: May all endeavors be auspicious.
Note 1: The key visualization and cultivation formula of Tara Who Saves from Contagious Diseases is excerpted from HH Living Buddha Lian-sheng's discourse on the Practice of Tara Who Saves from Contagious Diseases transmitted on March 15, 2020.
Note 2: On March 17, 2020, compassionate Living Buddha Lian-sheng instructed: ''If Realgar (雄黃 Xiong Huang) is unavailable, one may use only five herbs.'' Therefore, it is acceptable to use either six herbs or five herbs. 【Ingestion of the Tara's epidemic prevention herb packs is strictly forbidden!! The herb packs are to be used for wearing on one's body and forming protective boundaries only.】
[Six-herb Pack]:「Common Cnidium Fruit (蛇床子, Shechuangzi)。Prepared aconite (制附子, Zhifuzi)。Radix Polygalae (遠志Yuanzhi)。Radix Glycyrrhizae (甘草Gancao)。Cortex Cinnamomi (桂心, Guixin)。Realgar (雄黃, Xionghuang)。」
[Five-herb Pack]:「Common Cnidium Fruit (蛇床子, Shechuangzi)。Prepared Aconite (制附子, Zhifuzi)。Radix Polygalae (遠志Yuanzhi)。Radix Glycyrrhizae (甘草Gancao)。Cortex Cinnamomi (桂心, Guixin)。」
Prepare the herbs in equal quantities and grind into powder.
True Buddha Dharma-character Treasury - Tara Who Saves from Contagious Diseases
March 15, 2020 Dharma King Lian-sheng Dharma Discourse - Debut Transmission of Tara Who Saves from Contagious Diseases
Q&A Concerning Mantra Recitation of the Tara Who Saves from Contagious Diseases
Q&A II Concerning Mantra Recitation of the Tara Who Saves from Contagious Diseases
Q&A III Concerning Mantra Recitation of the Tara Who Saves from Contagious Diseases
An empowerment must be received from Living Buddha Lian-sheng or an authorized True Buddha School master before engaging in this particular sadhana.