Start by praying for the root lineage blessing: First empty the mind. Next, visualize the Root Lineage Guru Living Buddha Lian-sheng appearing above your crown and radiating light on everyone present. Chant the Root Lineage Guru Heart Mantra 7 times. Pray to the Root Lineage Guru to empower you so that the practice will be auspicious.
Engender the Four Immeasurable Minds: Visualize your parents, children, relatives, friends, and enemies joining you in this practice.
Wake-Up Call: Clap twice, then cross hands and snap thumbs and middle fingers.
- Recite the Purification Mantras and Earth God Mantra
- Recite the Invocation Mantra
- Tender the Great Homage with Visualization
- Mandala Offering
- Fourfold Refuge
- Armor Protection
- Recite the High King Avalokitesvara Sutra (1 time).
- Recite the Rebirth Mantra (7 times).
- Recite the Root Guru’s Heart Mantra (108 times):
Om, gu-ru, lian-sheng, sid-dhi, hum.
- Mudra and Visualization
Vajra Samaya Mudra (Pearl Holding Mudra): Hold both hands at the navel chakra, back to back, with the right hand over the left hand. Wedge the little finger of the left hand between the thumb and index finger of the right hand. Wedge the thumb of the left hand between the little finger and ring finger of the right hand.
Illustration of mudra:
Ha (Yellow in color, emitting great white light)
Visualization: First empty the mind
Chant the Emptiness Mantra:
Om, si-ba-wa, su-da, sa-er-wa, da-er-ma, si-ba-wa, su-do-hang. (3 times)
- Above an expanse of ocean is a stretch of clear sunny sky. A moon disc rises from the ocean into the sky. Inside the moon disc is the yellow Sanskrit seed syllable 「」”ha,” emitting great white light.
- The seed syllable inside the moon disc revolves and transforms into Ksitigarbha Bodhisattva. Ksitigarbha’s body is white and he wears a Five-Buddha Crown and a cassock. Sitting upon a many petalled lotus, Ksitigarbha holds a bright precious pearl with both hands.
- Visualize the precious pearl sending forth a brilliant white light that travels in an arc to enter one’s body through the crown chakra. As a result, one’s entire body is purified.
- Recite the Ksitigarbha Heart Mantra (108 times):
Mala Beads Visualization:
Hold mala beads in front of the chest and move each bead with the thumb during chanting. Visualize the left hand transforming into a vajra bell and the right hand into a vajra scepter. The mother bead or emblem transforms into the Many-Jewels Buddha’s Stupa and the four “divider beads” transform into the Four Deva Kings. The tassel transforms into a “lotus hand” while the string threading through the beads transforms into a circle of inherent white light of Vajrasattva. During mantra chanting, when a bead is moved, visualize Ksitigarbha appearing inside the bead and come to the forefront.
Ksitigarbha Bodhisattva Mantra that Removes Fixed Karma:
Om, pun-lah-moh, lin-toh-lin, so-ha. (108 times)
Ksitigarbha Bodhisattva Heart Mantra:
Om, ha-ha-ha, wei-sam-mo-yeh, so-ha. (108 times)
(The first mantra is for removal of karmic hindrances, and the second mantra is used in Personal Deity Practice. For group practice, use the first mantra.)
- Entering Samadhi
(Nine Cycle Breathing, Entering of the Deity into Oneself, Release of Oneself into the Cosmic Consciousness, Breath Counting)
- Emerging from Samadhi
Di-zang ben-yuan shen-ru-hai, Di-yu bu-kong bu-cheng-fo;
Li-yi ren-tian da-pu-sa, Zhong-sheng du-jin zheng pu-ti.
Ocean deep are the Original Vows of Ksitigarbha,
Not attaining Buddhahood until the hell realm is empty,
Benefiting humans as well as devas,
Realizing Buddhahood when all beings are liberated.
- Recite the Principal Heart Mantras
- Recite the Buddha’s Name (3 times)
Na-mo san-shi-liu-wan-yi yi-shi-yi-wan jiu-qian-wu-bai tong-ming-tong-hao ah-mi-tuo-fo.
Namo the 36 trillion 119 thousand and 500 Amitabha Buddhas.
May Ksitigarbha be my Personal Deity,
May all beings in the nether world be liberated.
May I practice the Bodhisattva Way every day,
Transforming the bright pearl into myriad lights.
May all who uphold the name of Amitabha Buddha
Be born together in the Pure Land of His Western Paradise.
Repaying the Fourfold Generosity from above,
And aiding those who suffer in the Three Paths below.
Upon seeing the Buddha,
May I be liberated from the cycle of birth and death,
And may I develop the qualities of Buddhahood,
And thus free all who suffer.
I, ________ (your name), dedicate the merits of this practice to the Root Guru. May the Root Guru always be healthy, remain in Samsara, never enter Nirvana, and forever turn the Dharma Wheel. May everyone be healthy, free of hindrances, strong in cultivation, and may all circumstances become auspicious.
May all supplications be completely fulfilled.
May all hindrances be removed. Wun!
(For a detailed explanation of this dedication, please refer to page 165 of A Complete and Detailed Exposition on the True Buddha Tantric Dharma.)
- Recite the Hundred Syllable Mantra (3 times)
- Tender the Great Homage with Visualization (same as step 3)
- Recite the Completion Mantra
Om, Bu Lin. (3 times)
Om Mani Padme Hum.
End of Practice: Xiu-fa yuan-man, ru-yi ji-xiang. May all endeavors be auspicious.
True Buddha Dharma-character Treasury - Ksitigarbha Bodhisattva
An empowerment must be received from Living Buddha Lian-sheng or an authorized True Buddha School master before one engaging in this particular sadhana.