Start by praying for the root lineage blessing: First empty the mind. Next, visualize the Root Lineage Guru Living Buddha Lian-sheng appearing above your crown and radiating light on everyone present. Chant the Root Lineage Guru Heart Mantra 7 times. Pray to the Root Lineage Guru to empower you so that the practice will be auspicious.
Engender the Four Immeasurable Minds: Visualize your parents, children, relatives, friends, and enemies join you in this practice.
Wake-Up Call: Clap twice, then cross hands and snap thumbs and middle fingers.
- Recite the Purification Mantras and Earth God Mantra
- Recite the Invocation Mantra
- Tender the Great Homage with Visualization
- Mandala Offering
- Fourfold RefugeNamo Guru Bei, Namo Mahamayuri, Namo the Mahamayuri Sutra, Namo the Retinue of the Mahamayuri Assembly. (3 times)
- Armor Protection
- Recite the High King Avalokitesvara Sutra (1 time).
- Recite the Rebirth Mantra (7 times).
- Recite the Root Guru's Heart Mantra (108 times):
Om, gu-ru, lian-sheng sid-dhi hum
- Mudra and Visualization
Mahamayuri Mudra (Internal Handclasp Mudra): First, form the internal handclasp mudra in front of your chest, then bring the two little fingers and thumbs close together as illustrated in the picture on the left. The thumbs represent the head of the peacock, the little fingers represent the tail feathers of the peacock, and the middle part represents the body of the peacock.
Illustration of mudra:
Yu Bam Mo
Visualization: First empty the mind
Chant the Emptiness Mantra:
Om, si-ba-wa, su-da, sa-er-wa, da-er-ma, si-ba-wa, su-do-hang. (3 times)
- Above an expanse of ocean is a stretch of clear sunny sky. A fan of peacock tail feathers appears in the sky, and in the center of the fan, a white seed syllable 「」 “yu” appears which then transforms into a golden peacock king.
- From the back of the peacock king, a white seed syllable 「」 “bam” manifests and then transforms into a white lotus.
- Above the white lotus, a gold or white seed syllable 「」 “mo”'' begins to rotate and transforms into a gold-colored, white-colored, or gold-and-white colored Four-Armed Mahamayuri. Four-Armed Mahamayuri wears a Five-Buddha Crown, with a white lotus in her first right hand, and a red bijapura (a citron) in her second right hand. Mahamayuri holds a yellow auspicious fruit in her first left hand, and a peacock feather in her second left hand.
- From the third eye chakra (or brow point) of Mahamayuri, visualize a beam of white light shining onto your third eye chakra. From the throat of Mahamayuri, a beam of red light shines onto your throat. From the heart chakra of Mahamayuri, a beam of blue light shines onto your heart chakra. The three lights merge completely into your body and mind.
- Recite the Mahamayuri Mantra (108 times):
Om, mo-yu-li, ge-la-dii, so-ha.
- Entering Samadhi
- Emerging from SamadhiPraise Verse:Lord Buddha, the great compassionate one,Your dharmakaya is endowed with the tranquility of nirvana.Your power and abilities are boundless,And all of your merits and virtues are perfect.
- Recite the Principal Heart Mantras
- Recite the Buddha's Name (3 times)
Namo the 36 trillion 119 thousand and 500 Amitabha Buddhas.
May our country be secure and strong,
May my body and mind be at peace,
May everything transform into the Buddha-field.
The Buddha-dharma is boundless.
May all who uphold the name of Amitabha Buddha,
Be born together in the Pure Land of His Western Paradise,
Repaying the Fourfold Generosity from above,
And aiding those who suffer in the Three Paths below.
Upon seeing the Buddha,
May I be liberated from the cycle of birth and death,
And may I develop the qualities of Buddhahood,
And thus free all who suffer.
I, ________ (your name), dedicate the merits of this practice to the Root Guru. May the Root Guru always be healthy, remain in samsara, never enter nirvana, and forever turn the dharma wheel. May everyone be healthy, free of hindrances, strong in cultivation, and may all circumstances become auspicious.
Use your vajra scepter to draw a circle three times in the space above you and visualize that you are drawing a blazing circle of fire. Then say:
May all supplications be completely fulfilled. May all hindrances be removed.
Visualize a patch of darkness in front of you (symbolizing negative forces). Then raise the vajra scepter, point it towards the patch of darkness, and ring the vajra bell while shouting:
As you shout Wun, visualize the darkness retreating and in its place are two vajra scepters in the form of a cross appearing above a lotus flower, surrounded by the blazing circle of fire. The crossed vajra scepters represent strength, while the lotus flower itself represents wisdom. The crossed vajra scepters above a lotus represent protection and defeat of the negative forces. The blazing light signifies totality and completion. With this visualization of the crossed vajra scepters, lotus flower, and blazing circle of fire, all negative forces will retreat.
(detailed visualization from page 165 of A Complete and Detailed Exposition on the True Buddha Tantric Dharma)
- Recite the Hundred Syllable Mantra (3 times)
- Tender the Great Homage with Visualization (same as step 3)
- Recite the Completion Mantra
Om, Bu Lin. (3 times)
Om Mani Padme Hum.
End of Practice: May all endeavors be auspicious.
An empowerment must be received from Living Buddha Lian-sheng or an authorized True Buddha School master before engaging in this particular sadhana.