Start by praying for the root lineage blessing: First empty the mind. Next, visualize the Root Lineage Guru Living Buddha Lian-sheng appearing above your crown and radiating light on everyone present. Chant the Root Lineage Guru Heart Mantra 7 times. Pray to the Root Lineage Guru to empower you so that the practice will be auspicious.
Engender the Four Immeasurable Minds: Visualize your parents, children, relatives, friends, and enemies joining you in this practice.
Wake-Up Call : Clap twice, then cross hands and snap thumbs and middle fingers.
- Recite the Purification Mantras and Earth God Mantra
- Recite the Invocation Mantra
- Tender the Great Homage with Visualization
- Mandala Offering
- Fourfold Refuge
- Armor Protection
- Recite the High King Avalokitesvara Sutra (1 time).
- Recite the Rebirth Mantra (7 times).
- Recite the Root Guru's Heart Mantra (108 times):
Om, gu-ru, lian-sheng sid-dhi hum
- Mudra and Visualization
High King Avalokitesvara Mudra (Internal or External Turning the Dharma Wheel Mudra):
Internal Turning the Dharma Wheel Mudra:
Form a circle with the thumb and index finger of the left hand facing outward, extend the middle finger, ring finger and little finger to point straight up. Form a circle with the thumb and index finger of the right hand facing inward, extend the middle finger, ring finger and little finger to point away from you while locking the right hand circle to the left hand circle. Hold palms together with a space in between.
External Turning the Dharma Wheel Mudra:
Form a circle with the thumb and index finger of the left hand facing outward, extend the middle finger, ring finger and little finger to point straight up. Form a circle with the thumb and index finger of the right hand facing inward, extend the middle finger, ring finger and little finger pointing straight away from you. Hold palms together with a space in between and the right hand circle behind the left hand circle.
Illustration of mudras:
Visualization: First empty the mind
Chant the Emptiness Mantra:
Om, si-ba-wa, su-da, sa-er-wa, da-er-ma, si-ba-wa, su-do-hang. (3 times)
- Above an expanse of ocean is a stretch of clear sunny sky. A moon disc rises from the ocean into the sky. Inside the moon disc is seed syllable「」''di,'' emitting great light. The color of the seed syllable is visualized in accordance with what the practitioner is praying for. If the practitioner is praying for calamity eradication, the practitioner visualizes a white seed syllable emitting white light; fortune enrichment, yellow seed syllable emitting yellow light; love and respect, red seed syllable emitting red light; and subjugation, blue seed syllable emitting blue light.
- The seed syllable inside the moon disc revolves and transforms into High King Avalokitesvara. She wears a Seven-Buddha crown with her right hand displaying a mudra of teaching and left hand, a mudra of equality. The seven past Buddhas are: Vipasyin, Sikhin, Visvabhu, Krakucchanda, Kanakamuni, Kasyapa, and Shakyamuni.
- From the brow point of the High King Avalokitesvara, a beam of white light shines onto one's brow point. From the throat of the High King Avalokitesvara, a beam of red light shines onto one's throat. From the heart of the High King Avalokitesvara, a beam of blue light shines onto one's heart. The three lights of white, red, and blue merge completely into one's body-mind.
- Recite the High King Avalokitesvara Heart Mantra (108 times):
Om, Lee-poh-lee-poh-deh, kyo-he-kyo-he-deh, toh-loh-nee-deh, nee-he-la-deh, pee-lee-nee-deh, mo-he-kya-deh, jen-len-chen-deh, so-ha.
- Entering Samadhi
- Emerging from Samadhi
- Praise Verse
Homage to High King Avalokitesvara
The Dharma prince of the seven past Buddhas
True Buddha School promoting the High King Sutra
Protects the country and alleviates people's suffering.
- Recite the Principal Heart Mantras
- Recite the Buddha's Name (3 times)
Na-mo san-shi-liu-wan-yi yi-shi-yi-wan jiu-qian-wu-bai tong-ming-tong-hao ah-mi-tuo-fo.
Namo the 36 trillion 119 thousand and 500 Amitabha Buddhas.
- Recite the Hundred Syllable Mantra (3 times)
- Tender the Great Homage with Visualization (same as step 3)
- Recite the Completion Mantra
Om, Bu Lin. (3 times)
Om Mani Padme Hum.
End of Practice: Xiu-fa yuan-man, ru-yi ji-xiang. May all endeavors be auspicious.
Note: Visualization of entering into and merging with High King Avalokitesvara: High King Avalokitesvara transforms into a light pearl which enters through practitioner's crown opening and rests atop the lotus at the heart chakra. High King Avalokitesvara's body gradually enlarges until it is the same size as the practitioner. (The practitioner and High King Avalokitesvara merge completely. High King Avalokitesvara is the same as the practitioner and the practitioner is the same as High King Avalokitesvara. There is no separation between the two.)
An empowerment must be received from Living Buddha Lian-sheng or an authorized True Buddha School master before one engages in this particular sadhana.