Start by praying for the root lineage blessing: First empty the mind. Next, visualize the Root Lineage Guru Living Buddha Lian-sheng appearing above your crown and radiating light on everyone present. Chant the Root Lineage Guru Heart Mantra 7 times. Pray to the Root Lineage Guru to empower you so that the practice will be auspicious.
Engender the Four Immeasurable Minds: Visualize your parents, children, relatives, friends, and enemies joining you in this practice.
Wake-Up Call: Clap twice, then cross hands and snap thumbs and middle fingers.
- Recite the Purification Mantras and Earth God Mantra
- Recite the Invocation Mantra
- Tender the Great Homage with Visualization
- Mandala Offering
- Fourfold Refuge
- Recite the Repentance Verse and Mantra
- Recite the Four Immeasurable Vows
- Armor Protection
- Recite the Bodhicitta Verse and Mantra
- Recite the High King Avalokitesvara Sutra (1 time).
- Recite the Rebirth Mantra (7 times).
- Recite the Root Guru's Heart Mantra (108 times):
Om, gu-ru, lian-sheng sid-dhi hum
- Mudra and Visualization
Mahapratisara Mudra (Scripture Mudra) : Open the left palm facing up and the right palm facing down. Close the palms together resembling a scripture.
Illustration of mudra:
Bo-la (white in color)
Visualization: First empty the mind
Chant the Emptiness Mantra:
Om, si-ba-wa, su-da, sa-er-wa, da-er-ma, si-ba-wa, su-do-hang. (3 times)
- Visualize a moon disc appearing in the void. Within the moon disc is the white seed syllable「」''bo-la'' emitting white light.
- The seed syllable inside the moon disc revolves and transforms into Mahapratisara with eight arms. The body of Mahapratisara is dark yellow. Her top left hand holds a lotus. On top of the lotus is a flaming golden wheel. The other three left hands hold in sequence a scripture, a banner and a lasso. Her top right hand holds a five-pronged vajra scepter. The remaining right hands hold sequentially a halberd, a sword, and a kartika.
- From the brow point of Mahapratisara a beam of white light shines onto one's brow point. From the throat of Mahapratisara, a beam of red light shines onto one's throat. From the heart of Mahapratisara, a beam of blue light shines onto one's heart. The three lights of white, red, and blue merge completely into one's body and mind.
- Recite the Mahapratisara Heart Mantra (108 times):
Perform mala beads visualization before chanting the mantra.
- Nine Cycle Breathing Exercise and Entering Samadhi
- Emerging from Samadhi
- Recite the Principal Heart Mantras
- Recite the Buddha's Name (3 times)
Namo the 36 trillion 119 thousand and 500 Amitabha Buddhas.
- Recite the Hundred Syllable Mantra (3 times)
- Tender the Great Homage with Visualization (same as step 3)
- Recite the Completion Mantra
Om, Bu Lin. (3 times)
Om Mani Padme Hum.
End of Practice: May all endeavors be auspicious.
Note: Eight Mahapratisara Mudras
Mahapratisara has eight mudras. After performing the eight mudras, one prays to Mahapratisara who then fulfills one's wishes. When praying to Mahapratisara, one must form her eight mudras and recite ''Om。ma-ha-bo-la-di。sa-lao。so-ha。''
The eight Mahapratisara mudras are: first, Inner Five-pronged Mudra; second, Kalachakra Mudra; third, Yamantaka Mudra; fourth, Ushnishavijaya Mudra; fifth, Three-pronged Mudra; sixth, Single-pronged Mudra; seventh, Akasagarbha Mudra; and eighth, Scripture Mudra.
After forming the Scripture Mudra, one rubs the palms three times. Then clap the palms once. Flip the palms over and clap a second time. Flip the palms over again and clap one final time. One's hands should now be back in the Mahapratisara Mudra. This is the key formula for praying to Mahapratisara.
An empowerment must be received from Living Buddha Lian-sheng or an authorized True Buddha School master before engaging in this particular sadhana.