Start by praying for the root lineage blessing: First empty the mind. Next, visualize the Root Lineage Guru Living Buddha Lian-sheng appearing above your crown and radiating light on everyone present. Chant the Root Lineage Guru Heart Mantra 7 times. Pray to the Root Lineage Guru to empower you so that the practice will be auspicious.
Engender the Four Immeasurable Minds: Visualize your parents, children, relatives, friends, and enemies join you in this practice.
Wake-Up Call: Clap twice, then cross hands and snap thumbs and middle fingers.
- Recite the Purification Mantras and Earth God Mantra
- Recite the Invocation Mantra
- Tender the Great Homage with Visualization
- Mandala Offering
- Fourfold Refuge
- Armor Protection
- Recite the High King Avalokitesvara Sutra (1 time).
- Recite the Rebirth Mantra (7 times).
- Recite the Root Guru's Heart Mantra (108 times):
Om, gu-ru, lian-sheng sid-dhi hum
- Mudra and Visualization
Thousand-armed Thousand-eyed Guanyin Mudra: Place the palms together. Interlace the index fingers, middle fingers, and ring fingers while keeping the thumbs and little fingers pointing outwards.
Illustration of mudra:
Seh (white in color)
Visualization: First empty the mind
Chant the Emptiness Mantra:
Om, si-ba-wa, su-da, sa-er-wa, da-er-ma, si-ba-wa, su-do-hang. (3 times)
- Above an expanse of ocean is a stretch of clear sunny sky. A moon disc rises from the ocean into the sky. Inside the moon disc is white seed syllable「」''seh,'' emitting great white light.
- The seed syllable inside the moon disc revolves and transforms into Thousand-armed Thousand-eyed Guanyin. Visualize that Thousand-Armed Thousand-Eyed Guanyin has eleven faces. The three front faces are the bodhisattva's face. The three faces on the left are wrathful. The three faces on the right have the look of bodhisattva and ghost. The back face is fierce, cruel, and laughing. The face on top is the face of buddha. These faces symbolize the five buddha families. The buddha family is on top, the front symbolizes the jewel family, the dual-visaged bodhisattva and ghost symbolizes the lotus family, the wrathful visage symbolizes the vajra family, and the cruel, ferocious, and laughing visage represents the action family.
- The brow chakra of Thousand-armed Thousand-eyed Guanyin emits a beam of white light which shines on practitioner's brow chakra; the throat chakra emits a beam of red light which shines on practitioner's throat chakra; the heart chakra emits a beam of blue light which shines on practitioner's heart chakra; The beams of white, red, and blue light merge into practitioner's body and mind.
- Visualize that Thousand-armed Thousand-eyed Guanyin holds the following dharma implements for each of the five esoteric cultivations of calamity eradication, subjugation, enrichment, love and respect, and action respectively:
- Tathagata calamity eradication practice: transformation buddha hand, white fanning hand, willow branch hand, halberd lance hand, and fearless bestowing hand.
- Vajra subjugation practice: golden wheel hand, jewel palace hand, jewel sword hand, vajra scepter hand, and jewel bowl hand.
- Jewel family enrichment practice: wish-fulfilling pearl hand, jewel scripture hand, cyan lotus hand, jewel bow hand, and white lotus hand.
- Lotus Family love and respect practice: lotus namaste hand, treasure seal hand, jewel mirror hand, jade bracelet hand, and red lotus hand.
- Action family hooking and summoning practice: jewel arrow hand, five-colored cloud hand, bead counting hand, iron hook hand, and dharma conch hand.
- Recite the Thousand-armed Thousand-eyed Guanyin Heart Mantra (108 times):
Perform Mala Beads Visualization.
Na-mo-san-man-duo, mu-tuo-nan, wa-ri-la, da-mo-seh.
- Entering Samadhi
Perform Nine Cycle Breathing.
- Emerging from Samadhi.
Guanyin's practices are truly perfect
Out of total compassion, her tears flow continuously
Her supremely responsive and effective thousand arms tantric practices
Have been vastly saving sentient beings for millions upon millions of years.
- Recite the Principal Heart Mantras
- Recite the Buddha's Name (3 times)
Namo the 36 trillion 119 thousand and 500 Amitabha Buddhas.
- Recite the Hundred Syllable Mantra (3 times)
- Tender the Great Homage with Visualization (same as step 3)
- Recite the Completion Mantra
Om, Bu Lin. (3 times)
Om Mani Padme Hum.
End of Practice: Xiu-fa yuan-man, ru-yi ji-xiang. May all endeavors be auspicious.
After merging with the personal deity, the tantric practitioner may perform tantric practice with the corresponding dharma implement held in his hand. The tantric practitioner visualizes the implement emitting light which touches whatever person or whatever matter the practitioner wishes to accomplish. In this way, one is able to ''realize one's wishes and perfectly accomplish one's desires.''
When cultivating personal deity practice, during the visualization section of the practice, one visualizes the dharma implement held in one's hand emitting light that shines on a person or matter. One may then successfully accomplish one's wishes.
For example: When a practitioner cultivates the calamity eradication practice to cure someone's sickness, the practitioner may choose a dharma implement such as a willow branch. During the visualization section of the practice, the practitioner visualizes the sick person appearing in front of the practitioner. The practitioner then brushes the sick person with the willow branch or visualizes the willow branch radiating white light on the sick person. This is an eradication practice to cure sickness.
An empowerment must be received from Living Buddha Lian-sheng or an authorized True Buddha School master before engaging in this particular sadhana.