Start by praying for the root lineage blessing: First empty the mind. Next, visualize the Root Lineage Guru Living Buddha Lian-sheng appearing above your crown and radiating light on everyone present. Chant the Root Lineage Guru Heart Mantra 7 times. Pray to the Root Lineage Guru to empower you so that the practice will be auspicious.
Engender the Four Immeasurable Minds: Visualize your parents, children, relatives, friends, and enemies join you in this practice.
Wake-Up Call: Clap twice, then cross hands and snap thumbs and middle fingers.
- Recite the Purification Mantras and Earth God Mantra
- Recite the Invocation Mantra
- Tender the Great Homage with Visualization
- Mandala Offering
- Fourfold Refuge
- Armor Protection
- Recite the High King Avalokitesvara Sutra (1 time).
- Recite the Rebirth Mantra (7 times).
- Recite the Root Guru''s Heart Mantra (108 times):Om, gu-ru, lian-sheng sid-dhi hum
- Mudra and Visualization
Lotus Mudra: First form the ''''prayer gesture.'''' At the level of the chest, join the palms of both hands together with fingers meeting and pointing up. Now open the palms so that the hands meet only in three ways: at the very base of the palms, entire thumb to entire thumb, and entire little finger to entire little finger. Spread the other fingers out straight but as widely as possible, so that the gesture represents an eight-petalled flower.
Illustration of mudra:
Seh (White in color emitting great white light)
Visualization: First empty the mind
Chant the Emptiness Mantra:
Om, si-ba-wa, su-da, sa-er-wa, da-er-ma, si-ba-wa, su-do-hang. (3 times)
- Above an expanse of ocean is a stretch of clear sunny sky. A moon disc rises from the ocean into the sky. Inside the moon disc is the white Sanskrit seed syllable 「」''''seh,'''' emitting great white light.
- The seed syllable inside the moon disc revolves and transforms into Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva (same image as the one enshrined at one''s personal shrine). Avalokitesvara''s body is a brilliant white and is adorned with the ornaments of a bodhisattva. Sitting on a many petalled lotus, expressing dignity and compassion, Avalokitesvara radiates boundless pure white light. One may visualize the Six Syllables (Om Ma Ni Pad Me Hum) revolving around Avalokitesvara and sendingforth brilliant white light in all directions.
- Visualize the hand implements of Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva, such as bright pearl, scripture, lotus, or nectar inside a vase transform into a brilliant white light which arcs over and down, descending one''s crown and filling the body with a mass of purifying light.
- Recite the Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva Heart Mantra (108 times):
Mala Beads Visualization:
Hold mala beads in front of the chest and move each bead with the thumb during chanting. Visualize the left hand transforming into a vajra bell and the right hand into a vajra scepter. The mother bead or emblem transforms into the Many-Jewels Buddha''s Stupa and the four ''''divider beads'''' transform into the Four Deva Kings. The tassel transforms into a ''''lotus hand'''' while the string threading through the beads transforms into a circle of inherent white light of Vajrasattva. During mantra chanting, when a bead is moved, visualize Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva appearing inside the bead and come to the forefront.
Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva Heart Mantra:
Om, ma-ni-pad-me-hum. (108 times)
- Entering Samadhi
(Nine Cycle Breathing, Entering of the Deity into Oneself, Release of Oneself into the Cosmic Consciousness, Breath Counting)
- Emerging from Samadhi
Zheng-fa-ming ru-lai hua-sheng pu-sa, De-cheng zi-zai da-ci guan-shi-yin;Pu-shi jie-fang liu-zi da-guang-ming, Fo-guang dao-yin zhong-sheng zhi fo-tu.
An emanation of the Correct Dharma Enlightened Tathagata,
The Great Compassionate Unhindered Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva
Radiates great Buddha light from the Six Syllables,
Guiding all beings to the Buddha''s Pure Land.
- Recite the Principal Heart Mantras
- Recite the Buddha''s Name (3 times)
Na-mo san-shi-liu-wan-yi yi-shi-yi-wan jiu-qian-wu-bai tong-ming-tong-hao ah-mi-tuo-fo.
Namo the 36 trillion 119 thousand and 500 Amitabha Buddhas.
Fang-da-ci-quang-lai-ji-zhong, Ren-ren-tong-qui-da-bei-zun. May the pure light purify my karmic hindrances,
Enabling me to become an Unhindered Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva,
Radiating great compassionate light to aid all beings,
So that everyone will take refuge in the Great Compassionate One.
May all who uphold the name of Amitabha Buddha
Be born together in the Pure Land of His Western Paradise.
Repaying the Fourfold Generosity from above,
And aiding those who suffer in the Three Paths below.
Upon seeing the Buddha,
May I be liberated from the cycle of birth and death,
And may I develop the qualities of Buddhahood,
And thus free all who suffer.
I, ________ (your name), dedicate the merits of this practice to the Root Guru. May the Root Guru always be healthy, remain in Samsara, never enter Nirvana, and forever turn the Dharma Wheel. May everyone be healthy, free of hindrances, strong in cultivation, and may all circumstances become auspicious.
May all supplications be completely fulfilled.
May all hindrances be removed. Wun!
(For a detailed explanation of this dedication, please refer to page 165 of A Complete and Detailed Exposition on the True Buddha Tantric Dharma.)
- Recite the Hundred Syllable Mantra (3 times)
- Tender the Great Homage with Visualization (same as step 3)
- Recite the Completion Mantra
Om, Bu Lin. (3 times)
Om Mani Padme Hum.
End of Practice: Xiu-fa yuan-man, ru-yi ji-xiang. May all endeavors be auspicious.
An empowerment must be received from Living Buddha Lian-sheng or an authorized True Buddha School master before one engages in this particular sadhana.