Start by praying for the root lineage blessing: First empty the mind. Next, visualize the Root Lineage Guru Living Buddha Lian-sheng appearing above your crown and radiating light on everyone present. Chant the Root Lineage Guru Heart Mantra 7 times. Pray to the Root Lineage Guru to empower you so that the practice will be auspicious.
Engender the Four Immeasurable Minds: Visualize your parents, children, relatives, friends, and enemies joining you in this practice.
Wake-Up Call : Clap twice, then cross hands and snap thumbs and middle fingers.
- Recite the Purification Mantras and Earth God Mantra
- Recite the Invocation Mantra
- Tender the Great Homage with Visualization
- Mandala Offering
- Fourfold Refuge
- Armor Protection
- Recite the High King Avalokitesvara Sutra (1 time).
- Recite the Rebirth Mantra (7 times).
- Recite the Root Guru's Heart Mantra (108 times):
Om, gu-ru, lian-sheng sid-dhi hum
- Mudra and Visualization
Lapis Lazuli Light Medicine Buddha Mudra (Five-colored Light Mudra or Root Mudra):
Five-colored Light Mudra: Place the left hand before the left side of the chest, with the palm facing upward. Press the left thumb upon the nail of the left index finger. Place the right hand before the right side of the chest, with the palm facing outward. Place the right thumb upon the nail of the right index finger to form a circle.
Illustration of Five-colored Light Mudra:
Root Mudra: Interlace all the fingers inward and keep left small finger on the outside. Straighten both thumbs and keep them touching side by side.
Illustration of Root mudra:
; Hum or Bhai(Greenish Blue in color emitting strong blue light)
Visualization: First empty the mind
Chant the Emptiness Mantra:
Om, si-ba-wa, su-da, sa-er-wa, da-er-ma, si-ba-wa, su-do-hang. (3 times)
- Above an expanse of ocean is a stretch of clear sunny sky. A moon disc rises from the ocean into the sky. Inside the moon disc is blue Sanskrit seed syllable「」”hum” or 「」 ''bhai,'' emitting great blue light.
- The seed syllable inside the moon disc revolves and transforms into Medicine Buddha. Medicine Buddha possesses the 32 perfection marks and looks just like Amitabha Buddha. Sitting on a lotus seat, his body is blue in color. His hands form a Meditation Mudra holding a bowl filled with healing nectar.
- Visualize the heart of Medicine Buddha emitting a brilliant blue light.This blue light shines and empowers one through one's crown opening. One's entire body becomes transparent like the color of lapis lazuli. All karmic hindrances and illnesses are eradicated.
- The blue light emerging from the heart of Medicine Buddha expands. One's heart also emits a blue light. The two lights converge and meet in the space above, and instantly, one transforms into Medicine Buddha. The Medicine Buddha in the Empty Space and the Medicine Buddha that one transforms into are one and the same. There is no difference between the two.
- Recite the Medicine Buddha Heart Mantra (108 times):
Mala Beads Visualization:
Hold mala beads in front of the chest and move each bead with the thumb during chanting. Visualize the left hand transform into a vajra bell and the right hand into a vajra scepter. The mother bead or emblem transforms into the Many-Jewels Buddha's Stupa and the four ''divider beads'' transform into the Four Deva Kings. The tassel transforms into a ''lotus hand'' while the string threading through the beads transforms into a circle of inherent white light of Vajrasattva. During mantra chanting, when a bead is moved, visualize Amitabha appearing inside the bead and come to the forefront.
”Deh-yah-tah。 om。 beh-ka-dzee-yah。 beh-ka-dzee-yah。 ma-ha beh-ka-dzee-yah。 la-dza-sah-mo-kyah-doh-heh。 so-ha。”
- Entering Samadhi
(Nine Cycle Breathing, Entering of the Deity into Oneself, Release of Oneself into the Cosmic Consciousness, Breath Counting)
- Emerging from Samadhi
Shi-er da-yuan rao-yi zhong-sheng jiu-zhu-shi,
Fang lan-guang guan-zhu shi-ren yong-de chang-sheng;
Zui-shang shu-sheng cheng-jiu yao-shi guang-wang-fo,
Yi-yi ben-zun zu-qian gui-yi yu ding-li.
Medicine Buddha perpetuates in samsara.
His Twelve Great Vows benefit numerous beings,
His blue light empowers and brings eternal life.
Supremely accomplished Lapis Lazuli Light Medicine Buddha,
We shall prostrate at his feet and take refuge.
- Recite the Principal Heart Mantras
- Recite the Buddha's Name (3 times)
Na-mo san-shi-liu-wan-yi yi-shi-yi-wan jiu-qian-wu-bai tong-ming-tong-hao ah-mi-tuo-fo.
Namo the 36 trillion 119 thousand and 500 Amitabha Buddhas.
May all who uphold the name of Lapis Lazuli Light Medicine Buddha Buddha
Be born together in the Pure Land of His Western Paradise.
Repaying the Fourfold Generosity from above,
And aiding those who suffer in the Three Paths below.
Upon seeing the Buddha,
May I be liberated from the cycle of birth and death,
And may I develop the qualities of Buddhahood,
And thus free all who suffer.
I, ________ (your name), dedicate the merits of this practice to the Root Guru. May the Root Guru always be healthy, remain in Samsara, never enter Nirvana, and forever turn the Dharma Wheel. May everyone be healthy, free of hindrances, strong in cultivation, and may all circumstances become auspicious.
May all supplications be completely fulfilled.
May all hindrances be removed. Wun!
(For a detailed explanation of this dedication, please refer to page 165 of A Complete and Detailed Exposition on the True Buddha Tantric Dharma.)
- Recite the Hundred Syllable Mantra (3 times)
- Tender the Great Homage with Visualization (same as step 3)
- Recite the Completion Mantra
Om, Bu Lin. (3 times)
Om Mani Padme Hum.
End of Practice: Xiu-fa yuan-man, ru-yi ji-xiang. May all endeavors be auspicious.
An empowerment must be received from Living Buddha Lian-sheng or an authorized True Buddha School master before one engaging in this particular sadhana.